At the University Medical Center Groningen, employees at Radiology have easy access to the planning rosters to find out where and when they’re needed for their patient procedures scheduled each day. This is thanks in part to ORTEC Multi Resource Planning, the solution that the UMCG uses to match the right employees and resources, at the right time, with each particular patient care need within Radiology. Jan Kooistra, Radiology Lab Technician Manager, observes one of the improvements that had immediate positive impact: “A screen hanging in the middle of the department shows employees where they are scheduled to work at a single glance.”
The UMCG needed a system that automatically checks the availability of employees to ensure the optimal match between people and resources. The variables that needed consideration were:
How UMCG aimed to optimize its world
- The availability of resources, such as radiologists, medical assistants, radiology lab technicians, equipment, and interns;
- the ratio of 170 employees to 50 work places, made more complex by the fact that several resources often needed to be scheduled for the same procedure.
The implementation of a system that automatically checks the availability of employees must ensure the optimal match between people and resources.
The UMCG selected ORTEC Multi Resource Planning to generate clear schedules. ORTEC’s smart scheduling solution is linked to the personnel scheduling system ORTEC Workforce Scheduling, which provides the accurate and up-to-date information about scheduled employee availability. Each employee can view both the schedule and the workplace plan from his or her smartphone or computer at home. The system is also linked to Outlook, so that everyone can see when and where they are scheduled to work in their own personal Outlook agendas.
- A virtually error-free work process
- A simpler scheduling process
- Improved insight into the schedule
- Easier to manage changes, both planned and last minute
- Resources are distributed more effectively
- Higher employee satisfaction